Saturday, December 10, 2005

It's not Easy with ADD

It just isnt. I have to take Concerta (Ritalin) every day... even on weekends. I have been taking it for 10 years, and it is really getting it hard when I forget to take it.

When I forget... I am tired, I am groggy, and not only am I not attentive, but it can be hard to focus my eyes at times. It is like a Ritalin hangover... it is hard.

I point out that it is easier when I do take it. I dont mean easier than the withdrawl effects (I think it is withdrawl), I mean easier than dealing with my natural inattentive self. I like myself on the Ritalin.

When I dont take my Ritalin, my eyes unfocus on their own... my mind wanders, and I space out easily... kind of like being high I suppose... which is why I probably wont be taking drugs any time soon.

This post was written late at night on a day when I didn't take my Ritalin. It is easier, mainly because when I am tired, the reverse to normal is true. When I am tired, i need my mind to be able to make quick decisions to be able to make any at all. Ritalin would just slow my brain down way too much. In the day, I am alert enough to be able to afford myself that time.

With me on the school trivia team, it makes me wonder which is better, quick reflexes or quick mind. Should I be able to hit the buzzer fast, or get more answers?... I need a happy medium.

Oh well.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Irene Pak and i would like to show you my personal experience with Concerta.

I am 60 years old. I have been taking concerta for three days now. So far it is wonderful. I was previously on ritalin for 2 months, and felt like I was on rollercoaster. I would go from jittery to severly depressed and crying. After changing to concerta three days ago, I feel like myself again, only with much more energy focus and concentration. I am sure hoping this will continue. I am on 36mg.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
mild headache, dry mouth, some affect on sleep

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Irene Pak


Concerta Side Effects