Saturday, October 29, 2005

May as well get it out of the way now

While Im offending people with my previous post, I may as well also get out my lack of sympathy for certain people in the path of certain hurricanes.

Rita: Anyone caught in the path of this one that had access to a car and gas, and didnt make an attempt to get out, really was not thinking. This was a Category 5 when people were screaming GET OUT, even if it dropped before landfall. I have a hard time feeling sorry for them

Wilma: This one goes particularly to Canadian tourists in Cancun. We sent down emergency rescue planes that came back empty because people thought it would be an adventure. Any Canadian tourist caught in that deserved whatever they got, you should have left if you got that chance.

Katrina: I have a fair amount of sympathy here, but my frustration more goes to the original city plans. Wow. One, who builds a coastal city below sea level AND below a lake AND in the path of many hurricanes. This was a disaster waiting to happen, and the Superdome... Gah, just Gah.

There, those were the ones that bugged me this year.

In addition though the hurricane season is not over (Hurricane Beta, I laugh at the fact that they had to use Greek letters), so please... Evacuate from them if you can, If you cant, find a way, If you cant find a way, may God help you.

On to tornadoes... I have ZERO sympathy for anyone in tornado alley except for children there. Anyone who lives in tornado alley and complains about tornadoes is a moron. THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS TORNADO ALLEY, ITS CALLED THAT FOR A REASON AND YOU KNOW IT. GAH. If you want to live there... fine, but dont complain to me about it, you have to rebuild every time a tornado occurs, so I cant care anymore, the kids, well they cant exactly move away, so I will feel sorry for them.

On to Earthquakes... I have a fair amount of sympathy here, though my compassion for southeast asia is being spread a little thin here, its just happening too much, and I understand that it isnt a rich region of the planet, but they are happening alot lately is all.

My main problem with earthquakes is people in southern california who complain about the tremors you get. It happens, deal with it, you live next to the best known fault line in the world, I only have even less sympathy for you than the tornado alley people, just because Ive heard Californians complain and their earthquakes are much less destructive. Though at least you build earthquake resistant buildings instead of making them into horrible weapons for your chosen disaster like the tornado alley people do with the trailers.

Also, if there is ever a meltdown at Pickering power plant, I will be driving east, cursing our stupidity. Durham region will be screwed, some moron built one of our Nuclear Power Plants on A FUCKING FAULT LINE. No major ones yet, but just wait, we'll be screwed then.

I live in a hilly area, hundreds of miles inland, near a minor fault line. Im in a safe area. No tornadoes in Durham for hundreds of years I think, No hurricanes since the fifties and then it was technically a tropical storm. (Hazel) No earthquakes that I know of for several years, and when they come, it is more something to talk about, cause they are just something that shakes the house a bit, nothing to fear at all.

That is why I will have sympathy when something goes down. Or if something goes down in some place that is fairly safe from natural disasters. But I find it hard to feel sorry for disaster victims all the time, if your disaster happened in an area it always does. I try but I fail eventually, then I get called insensitive.

I dont know why I even try...
I know I sound insensitive here, and it sparked by the ongoing hurricane season. I am sorry to all those offended here, but I felt like venting and if you dont like it, oh well. I do care, and I may toss them some cash, but to really care, I am finding it harder and harder, especially with all the stupid media coverage, you just get overwhelmed.

Until next time...

No comments: