Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Value of My Time

My question is… How much of my time must be wasted before I am declared educated?

I am not talking about boring classes or when I am not paying attention because the subject material does not interest me. I am talking about true wastes of time; things that are done just to give me some quantifiable mark, things that are given out as busywork to kill time during the period. I am talking about teachers who tell me the same useless anecdotes over and over, or give us post-its to colour on. This is a waste of my time.

I am referring to my Co-op class. They started the first day by having us write our name on a post-it note, along with a picture of our favorite hobby, our favorite place to visit, and the names of our favorite movie and song. We then ignored the post-its and never did anything with them. How very beneficial to my education that was.

This kind of thing continued throughout the next week and a half, be it in a letter addressed to future me, or a handy mind-map to show me how to properly get injured at my placement.

I feel that I have had perfectly good time out of my life wasted. I want it explained to me how my time was not wasted, how this time would not have been better spent at my placement. I want to know how the post-it note had educational value.

I want the time I spend in school to have some meaning.

Until next time…

No comments: