Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Strategic Voting

The NDP and the Liberals are a lot closer in how they see the issues than either are with the Conservatives. This is a fact.

I believe in an alliance against the right wing. Let me explain to you why this works. I will use my riding as an example, but first I must explain some things. Every vote for a party that receives two percent of the national popular vote gives that party $1.75 a year for every year that the government lasts.

In my riding, the Conservatives won by somewhere between 800 and 1400 votes. The Liberals were a close second. The NDP were a very distant third getting a little less than 2500 votes (The Conservatives got 15000). If the NDP had withdrawn and told their voters to vote Liberal, then the Liberals would have won and the true will of the people would be heard.

The NDP get $17500 from my riding if the government lasts 4 years. In the long run, that is really not much. An extra Liberal seat could have changed the balance of power. This occurred in ridings across the country, and it of course works in reverse. The Liberals should support the NDP when it is a toss-up between the NDP and the Conservatives, like in the riding just to the west of me.

We could have the government we actually want.

It does not make any difference now though. Oh well...

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a 3rd party in a plural system of voting always causes this problem. Its sort of ironic that you mention this disparity between the Liberals and NDP. Not so long ago, the right was split into the Conservative and Alliance parties.

Government for me has always been a struggle between the lesser of evils. I've never participated in an election in which I was voting for someone or something I truely believed in. It was always voting against something I didn't like and accepting the stuff I could put up with.

While I wasn't personally able to vote this time around, I am not dissatified with the evil we now have in power. I know you disagree, and that's fair. However, I'm not really a strictly conservative person. I'm actually very moderate when it comes to my preferences in government, and as a minority, the conservatives will be leading a fairly moderate government. They simply cannot get as radical as people say they can be, and it gives the other parties enough of a kick in the pants to realize they can't have their cake and eat it for too long.

Hopefully some good things will be done and the country will not be in a state of complete disrepair.

Anyhow, thanks for your insight. Hope you don't mind me stopping by. Your mind may be muddled from time to time, but you express yourself well.

Til later,
Fred (aka Dresdin)