Sunday, June 17, 2007

Screw you, Hallmark!

So I think I've come up with a great plan to avoid giving Hallmark and Carlton Cards any further money. I figure that over the years I have spend four dollars or so on cards at least a few dozen times.

So from now on, rather than do that, I will spend five dollars, and do the following:
  1. Get a crisp five dollar bill.
  2. Get a small square envelope.
  3. Write on the five dollar bill "Happy [occasion], Love [Your Name]". Do this preferably with a Sharpie.
  4. Fold it neatly and put it in the envelope.
  5. Seal the envelope and give it to them with the envelope.
See, now there is a few reasons why this is inherently a good idea
  1. You aren't giving money to Hallmark, you are instead giving it to someone you care about.
  2. They will think it is a neat idea.
  3. In some cases, it costs less than the card.
  4. They will get some use out of their "card"
  5. You get the added satisfaction of wondering what the next person getting this five dollar bill will think when they read the message.
So yeah, try it. I find it works quite well, and I haven't given a card in a few months.

Until next time...

No comments: