Monday, March 19, 2007

Physics

Alright, I am getting quite tired of muddling along in physics, attempting to do all of the work, yet falling further and further behind, simply because I cannot understand how to apply things. Every class, every lab, another five equations are added to the list of those I am expected to know, and memorize, and I am losing my mind.

I have come to the realization, that while I will be able to finish out the year in my course, that I have little to no hope of bringing this all together for another three years. I seem to be, day by day, gravitating towards computer science as an alternative major. It would afford me the same opportunities, while at the same time allowing me a field where I can learn from scratch, without the presumption that I know prior knowledge. It also occurs to me that it would afford me more practical knowledge in each class.

I will have to take some time and consider this, while it is still perfectly acceptable to be having such issues, before it is too late. If I switch now, the fallout will be minimal, and I will have no problem recovering, and obtaining the courses which I would need.

Perhaps I could keep physics as my minor, or I may go towards math, where I would not have too many issues either. I, as I said, will have to think about it.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert,

This is your first year in a post secondary environment.

One of the things that you learn in university is the art of time management. In other words, spend the majority of your time on the subject where it will benefit you the most. If you have only 10 hours available for your homework, and you can improve your math grade at twice the rate of your physics grade, spend only enough time on physics to get a passing grade. Put the remaining time into your math studies. When your marks are averaged, your overall performance will be better. Nobody has ever asked me what mark I received on a specific course. Remember look at the big picture; your degree will be on your overall performance. It will NOT be based on one assignment, one test, or one course.

The second thing that you need to keep in mind, all programs have what they call a "weeder" course as a component. It is designed to separate the truly serious students from those who should be in another area of study. This may not be fair; however, it is a fact of life. A mere pass does not predict your performance in the field which you have chosen to study. A good grade in one course may be a "A-"; whereas, a good grade in a weeder course may be a "C".

The frustration which you are feeling is natural. It shows that you are, indeed, dedicated to your area of study. The students who care more about pub night than their next class seldom feel this type of stress.

There are three stages to learning: knowledge (learn by rote), understanding (learning through practical application of your knowledge), and wisdom (knowing the correct answer, usually helped by past experience). In your first year, you are not expected to understand the course material; your job is merely to know the material (i.e. you need to know that their is such a thing as gravity; you do not need to be Isaac Newton and able to explain how gravity impacts the orbits of the planets and their satellites as described in his 3rd book of the Principia).

If you are finding the subject matter confusing take active steps to help yourself. Three things which you may want to consider doing: talk to your professor (that is why they have office hours - you pay for their time as part of your tuition - do not be afraid of exercising this valuable resource); start up a study group (if you are having trouble with the subject matter, other students in your class are likely experiencing the same problem - you may even want to meet the professor as a group - I have never heard of a professor declining a request of this type); talk to somebody about your concerns.

Give me a call, whenever you feel overwhelmed by your workload.

UB

Anonymous said...

What he said